Sweet bacon and bacon sweets
7th July 2011
Mmnnn, bacon. It’s already considered the candy of the meat world (well, we think so) but that’s not good enough for us. Let’s go a step further and make it an actual candy!
Candied Bacon Recipe
Streaky Bacon (back bacon in an emergency, but it doesn’t provide the crispiness that makes this dish so good)
1. Pre-heat oven to 190C
2. Line a baking tray with tinfoil or grease poof paper (or a wire rack so the fat drips off if you want to make it a little bit “healthier”, but let’s not fool ourselves, we’re making candied bacon)
3. Lay the bacon strips out on the tray, try to keep them separated to prevent them sticking together in the oven.
4. Sprinkle brown sugar over the bacon strips, about 2 tsp on each strip is a rough guide, but it’s best to experiment yourself.
5. Make sure the sugar is evenly spread – no big lumps – then put the tray into the oven.
6. After 12 minutes take the bacon out and flip the bacon over (make sure to use tongs, the bacon will be extremely hot!)
7. Return to the oven for another 12 minutes, or until the bacon is a dark reddy-brown, crispy colour.
8. Put onto a wire rack for cooling.
9. You have a super tasty snack! Great as a party treat.
Check out this selection of other bacon based treats: